The Hungarian Academy of Sciences invites distinguished scientists to Hungary for 3-12 months to collaborate with gifted Hungarian researchers
The Hungarian Academy of Sciences (MTA) awards invitations to distinguished scientists to come to Hungary for the purpose of research work with younger Hungarian researchers: leaders of research groups of MTA at the institutes or research centres of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences or respective Hungarian universities. All fields of science (natural sciences, life sciences, social sciences and humanities) are included in this programme.
A limited number of distinguished guest scientists are invited each fiscal year for a period of 3-12 months. The annual limit for this programme is HUF 100 M. Invited researchers shall possess a record of excellent (world leading) research. They are expected to be still active, and to work during their stay in Hungary full time. Applications for short visits, conference participations or delivering lectures are not encouraged.
Applications for inviting distinguished scientists to Hungary shall be submitted by leaders of research groups (hereinafter host PI researcher), working either at research institutions of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences or Hungarian universities, to the President of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences. The applications are to be submitted jointly with the candidates, and are to be countersigned by the Head (Rector, Director General, Director) of the Hungarian Host Institution.
Terms and conditions of the invitation
What we offer
- A monthly salary of HUF 2 500 000 (approx. 8 000 euro / month) for personal and other expenses.
- One round-trip air ticket between the residence city and Budapest.
- A lodging allowance of HUF 100 000 /month.
- The host PI researcher will, in cooperation with the administration of the host institution, provide research facilities needed by the distinguished guest scientist to conduct research activities during his/her tenure.
- If needed, the host (research centre, institute, or in the case of research groups, the university) will also assist with immigration processing, securing lodgings and other matters related to the guest scientist's stay in Hungary.
- The distinguished guest scientist and his/her host PI researcher must submit a research report within one month after the completion of the fellowship. A manuscript of a scientific paper intended to be published in one of the top periodicals of the respective scientific field shall be attached to the report.
- When presenting or publishing the content or results of research conducted, the invitation by MTA should be acknowledged.
- Distinguished guest scientists are expected to devote their stay in Hungary fully to research during their term of the Fellowship, and may not enter employment in Hungary with or without remuneration. They are allowed to deliver university lectures subject to the consent of the hosting researcher, and without further remuneration.
- Approached by the President of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, the distinguished guest scientist should summarise his/her advice on ways to improve this programme and scientific research at large in Hungary.
- The name of the distinguished guest scientist, the host PI researcher and the institution, as well as the research report and the summary of the research report will be accessible to the public.
Formal requirements of the application
The completed form sheet (Attachment 1) should be sent together with an accompanying letter (written both in English and Hungarian) to the President of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences. It should contain the electronic signature of the Guest Scientist, and the original signature of both the host PI researcher and the leader of the host institution. The accompanying letter of max 1 page should point briefly to the significance of the joint research envisaged, and the expected impact of the Guest Scientist's activity in Hungary. The form sheet and the accompanying letter should be both mailed and e-mailed (in one single pdf file).
- Contact must be made between the host PI researcher and the prospective distinguished scientist;
- A joint research plan is to be made for min 3, max 12 months in Hungary;
- The prospective distinguished scientist must send the application formsheet filled in and signed by himself/herself to the host PI researcher (electronic version is acceptable);
- The host PI researcher signs and submits the application (together with the accompanying letter) to the head of the host institution (to the director general of the MTA research centre, or to the director of the MTA research institute; or in the case of university research groups, to the rector of the university);
- The head of the host institution will submit the undersigned application and the accompanying letter to the President of MTA.
Applications are to be submitted to the President of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences until 30 June 2012 12pm
- in a pdf file to the following address: email@example.com
- hard copies are to be mailed or delivered personally to the MTA Titkárság Kutatóintézeti Főosztály (1051 Budapest, Nádor utca 7.)
Screening is conducted by the selection committee appointed by the President of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences based on three criteria listed below.
- The applicant (host PI researcher) and candidate (guest scientist) should have created lined up a tangible research plan for joint research;
- Plausibility of some significant research results arising from the joint research envisaged;
- General impact of the expected results upon collaboration with the Hungarian scientific community.
The committee shall evaluate the application on three ranking levels (supported fully, partly, or rejected). In case of fully supported applications the sum of funding shall not exceed the amount announced in the call for application. The final decision shall be taken by the President of the MTA.
Notification of selection results
- The President of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences sends notification about the acceptance or refusal of the proposal to the applying host institutes before 31 July 2012, and, at the same time, he sends the invitation letter to the successful candidates (guest researchers), and its copy to the head of the host institute.
- All further correspondence and negotiations are done directly between the host institution and the guest scientist themselves.
- The application is specific for the fiscal year indicated. The research work should be completed on 31 August 2013 at the latest.
- Inappropriate applications are to be discarded without prior notification and barring all legal claims.
- Successful projects will be funded upon a contract between the host institution and the MTA Titkárság.
MTA Titkárság, Kutatóintézeti Főosztály (MTA Secretariat, Department of Research Institutes)
Budapest, 15 May 2012
Signed by PÁLINKÁS József